Raise Monday: A sequence concerning the artwork and science of “Lifts” in unsolicited mail fundraising.
Normally, a unsolicited mail raise piece is a chunk of paper. That”s the unsolicited mail world.
Nevertheless it would not must be.
Actual issues from the actual world that exist in three dimensions typically make nice lifts. As a result of they not solely do what paper lifts do, however they make the envelope lumpy — so it is extra totally different from the opposite envelopes round it.
And that is vital, as a result of we all know getting consideration within the first place is essentially the most difficult a part of getting donations.
Listed here are some 3-D lifts I’ve carried out and seen carried out by others:
- Seed packets. That is typically a winner, as a result of it not solely makes the envelope lumpy, it additionally makes sound when shaken. (True story: we despatched out wheat drains in a clear packet; in one in all our pattern packs, there was a dwell insect within the packet with the grains. We had no concept what number of donors received a bug!)
- Cash. Normally glued to one thing within the pack, typically displaying via a window within the outer envelope. It may be used to dramatize a low-cost answer to an issue (“6¢ can save a toddler from blindness!”) Can be international cash if that works. (You’re going to get greater than the standard complaints from donors about cash; they annoy some donors!) Associated, however not 3-D: international foreign money.
- Pen/pencil. Particularly if you would like the donor fill out a survey or in any other case write one thing.
- Lapel pins. One thing good and symbolic that the donor is prone to be proud to put on. Trace: apart from a tiny variety of organizations, your emblem will not be the factor!
- Water packets (plastic). Particularly if it is applicable to your group to ship Holy Water to donors.
- Magnets. That is type of a hybrid raise — flat like paper, however has additional weight. And surprisingly inexpensive. As with the lapel pin, do not simply slap your emblem on it. Ask your self in case your mom (or auntie or grandmother) could be glad to position this on her fridge. Photographs of flowers are good, as are inspiring quotations or scripture.
When utilizing 3-D lifts, there are two components to be careful for:
- Value of the raise. It is doable to spend a lot on a raise that although it really works to enhance response, it erases all of its good points by what it value. And typically the killer value is what it prices to insert it within the envelope.
- Elevated postage. If the raise provides an excessive amount of weight to the DM pack, it’s possible you’ll be caught with steeply elevated postage. Or worse, it could develop into unmailable. Remember to analysis along with your printer and your native postal authority.
As with every fundraising, your job is to spend cash to generate profits. So when you’re writing to mid-value or main donors, you may embody lifts that value rather a lot — and there is a good probability it is going to be value each penny.