With regards to key fundraising occasions on your nonprofit, auctions is usually a extremely efficient avenue for rising donations to your trigger. Nevertheless, when embarking on an auction-planning journey, it helps to have steering to get began. Karrie Wozniak, CMO at OneCause, outlines six important ideas on this article. Karrie has greater than twenty years of expertise in advertising and marketing and fervour for serving to nonprofits broaden their attain, main business analysis, advertising and marketing technique, and fundraising consulting initiative.
Planning an public sale occasion is usually a large enterprise. Taking an public sale hybrid can imply even extra shifting items to handle.
But remodeling your conventional silent public sale fundraiser to include each digital and in-person engagement opens your occasion as much as elevated accessibility and comfort for company. If deliberate properly, this could deliver elevated income and deepened donor relationships on your group.
A hybrid silent public sale usually entails on-line, real-time bidding performance in-person from a specified venue in addition to for distant individuals. It’s a bit extra logistically difficult than a totally in-person or digital public sale, so success will hinge on cautious planning.
If hybrid auctions are a brand new enterprise on your crew, we’ve put collectively this fast information to assist inform your planning technique. For the perfect outcomes, bear in mind these tried-and-true, research-backed ideas:
- Spend money on highly effective public sale software program.
- Make it mobile-friendly.
- Guarantee your occasion displays your mission.
- Don’t neglect about occasion promotion.
- Goal two distinct occasion audiences.
- Accumulate and leverage your public sale information.
1. Spend money on highly effective public sale software program.
Hybrid auctions, by their very nature, rely extra on know-how than a conventional in-person public sale does. Consequently, investing in the suitable instruments to handle your bidding experiences is extra vital than ever—for each the company who take part and the crew behind the scenes. Let’s take a better have a look at every:
- For company: The 2021 OneCause Giving Expertise Research reported ease of use because the #1 motivator and engagement driver for digital and hybrid experiences. When there are not any roadblocks within the giving, bidding, dwell streaming, or different participation processes, occasion attendees can be extra prone to contribute extra to your group.
- For employees: Having a robust occasion planning resolution permits workers members to handle each side of your public sale from begin to end with as little issue as attainable. Know-how may also help handle merchandise procurement, registration, bidding, and check-out processes, saving your crew worthwhile time and assets to reinvest in constructing relationships with donors.
Fortunately, the suitable silent public sale software program can play a major position in streamlining each visitor and workers experiences and offering a optimistic consumer expertise for everybody concerned. This manner, no matter whether or not attendees take part on-site or from afar, they’ll expertise an organized and cohesive public sale occasion and help the mission they care about with ease.
2. Make it mobile-friendly.
Based on fundraising statistics from 360MatchPro, greater than 50% of all nonprofit web site visitors final yr got here from cell and pill customers. Meaning it’s of utmost significance that you simply prioritize the cell expertise on your company. When planning your occasion, listed below are a number of key elements to think about:
- Permit company to register and bid from cell gadgets. Step one in rising supporter engagement in your public sale is to get company registered within the first place. Then comes the precise bidding. In each circumstances, it’s important that company have full performance to your public sale platform from their cell machine, permitting them to register, buy tickets, make bids and donations, and take a look at from whichever machine they select.
- Ship real-time outbid notifications. You possibly can’t all the time depend on bidders to be glued to their cell gadgets throughout your public sale, anxiously ready to see in the event that they’ve been outbid. However by sending real-time notifications to individuals’ cell gadgets, you’ll be able to recapture their consideration and encourage them to up their bids to win the merchandise.
- Robotically resize content material to suit smaller screens. Simply because your net content material masses on a cell machine doesn’t imply it’s mobile-optimized. As an alternative, be certain your textual content, photographs, and interactive content material mechanically resizes to suit the usually portrait-mode orientation of a smartphone, free from unnecessary zooming and horizontal scrolling. Circumvent this subject completely through the use of bidding software program that’s constructed particularly for cell use, whether or not on-site or distant.
Offering a mobile-friendly consumer expertise is essential for maximizing engagement. In any other case, you threat lacking out on a good portion of your supporter base just because your hybrid expertise was not accessible.
3. Guarantee your occasion displays your mission.
Past ease of use, the 2 subsequent two important engagement motivators uncovered in our Giving Expertise Research have been a connection to the mission and an understanding of the influence of every donation. In an effort to maximize these components, you’ll want to repeatedly reiterate how your occasion and the income raised will go to help your nonprofit’s mission.
Take into account the next finest practices for constructing “mission moments” into your hybrid public sale:
- Select a related occasion theme. Setting a theme is a good way to extend participation and reiterate the that means behind the occasion. Plus, our research discovered that 59% of donors reported occasion themes to be a extremely participating component of hybrid occasion experiences they’ve attended.
- Inform constituent tales. Among the finest methods for supporters to really perceive the significance of your mission is by listening to it from those that have immediately benefited from it. With their permission, take into account sharing actual tales of constituents and the way they have been positively impacted. You possibly can even deliver constituents in to inform their story in their very own phrases at your public sale occasion!
- Tie income to concrete impacts. As a result of donors wish to understand how their hard-earned cash is getting used, it’s a good suggestion to spotlight giving tiers to raised talk influence. For instance, take into account sharing metrics like $X raised goes to help Y variety of beneficiaries in a selected means.
It’s vital to repeatedly remind company that they’re collaborating in your occasion to help your nonprofit and its imaginative and prescient for social good. It’s not only a enjoyable evening out or a method to win unique prizes—though these are definitely wonderful advantages of a fundraising public sale as properly.
When attendees perceive the influence that their contributions make in your mission, they’ll be extra prone to help your group by giving properly above the honest market worth for the objects up for bid or by making donations outright.
4. Don’t neglect about occasion promotion.
In an effort to guarantee an efficient occasion with excessive turnout, taking a strategic strategy to occasion promotion is a should. We advise a multichannel advertising and marketing technique with the next key strategies of communication:
- Unsolicited mail: Sending bodily invites by way of unsolicited mail can seize supporters’ consideration and improve pleasure on your upcoming occasion. As a result of unsolicited mail is among the extra expensive promotional techniques, take into account reserving this technique for participating with high-value donors and historic occasion attendees.
- E mail: E mail is among the best and lowest value methods to get a message out to a variety of supporters. To verify your message stands out in recipients’ already crowded inboxes, nonetheless, you’ll want to select an eye catching topic line and handle the reader by identify.
- Social media: Your group’s social media presence can go a great distance for selling your occasion and boosting attendee engagement beforehand. Make sure you share info on platforms like Fb, Twitter, and Instagram, and encourage supporters to work together with and share your posts as properly!
- Internet presence: Your nonprofit web site is probably going the hub for all types of details about your upcoming public sale, together with methods to be taught extra or register for the occasion. Use this invaluable useful resource properly by directing visitors to a devoted occasion net web page or digital occasion heart out of your different advertising and marketing channels.
It’s vital that you simply don’t go away occasion advertising and marketing as an afterthought! Get began early on within the planning course of to make sure your supporters are conscious of the upcoming alternative in addition to perceive what a hybrid public sale is, methods to get entangled, and all that it entails.
You’ll additionally wish to decide the way you’ll deal with the 2 audiences of digital and in-person attendees. Will you promote one expertise to sure forms of donors extra closely? How will you clarify the digital bidding course of in order that even the least tech-savvy supporter can take part? Answering these questions beforehand can go an extended method to making certain a seamless and well-thought-out expertise for every group.
5. Goal two distinct occasion audiences.
Planning a hybrid occasion entails juggling quite a lot of shifting items. Particularly, you’ll want to include two twin experiences, focusing on two totally different audiences, inside a single coherent occasion.
To take action, it’s vital that you simply take the time to plan for every expertise based mostly on what that individual viewers is desirous about. For instance, donors have reported that sure components are far more participating throughout digital occasions than others. These parts are inclined to cater properly to digital and distant audiences:
- Cell-optimized occasion platforms
- Image-in-picture know-how
- Dwell-streamed content material
- Actual-time chat breakout rooms
- One-click donations
Then again, these components have been favorites for participating face-to-face audiences:
- Occasion themes
- Chatting with different company
- In-person audio system
- Dwell leisure
Different components like raffles, public sale bidding, matching presents, and on-line promotion beforehand can be skilled by each distant and in-person occasion audiences. Whatever the parts you incorporate into your plans, you’ll want to take into account the best way your numerous teams of supporters will work together with every. And bear in mind—nobody viewers is extra vital than the opposite!
6. Accumulate and leverage your public sale information.
Monitoring your occasion efficiency by means of fundraising information is an impactful method to study what works properly together with what leaves room for enchancment. In the event you’re in search of key efficiency indicators (or KPIs) to trace for a hybrid public sale, take into account the next information factors:
- Share of attendees who interact in-person vs. on-line
- Common bid dimension
- Extra donations past ticket gross sales and bids
- Variety of bids on every merchandise
- Common time attendees spent collaborating
- Occasion ROI (return on funding)
To take advantage of out of your occasion information, you’ll want to decide which KPIs to trace early on within the planning course of and sustain along with your progress all through. Then, check out your outcomes by analyzing public sale information and seeing what you are able to do higher the subsequent time you intend an occasion.
To get began planning a hybrid public sale, it’s vital that you simply do your analysis and equip your crew with the instruments they want beforehand. Then, you’ll be able to get into the main points and launch an interesting expertise for all attendees, each in-person and distant.
Whenever you provide a hybrid occasion like a silent public sale, you’ll be able to improve engagement and deepen relationships with donors, laying the groundwork for steady help, bigger presents, and much more profitable and accessible occasions sooner or later. Joyful fundraising!